Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why Poems are so Important???


While reading the poems for the class i realized that i really had no idea what some of them were talking about. It wasn't until we discussed the poems in class, that i was able to finally construct meaning out of them. I was fascinated with the ideas my fellow classmates came up with. For example, in Shakespeare's poem "Shall i compare thee to a summer's day" my fellow classmates indicated that this poem could be written about a man instead of a woman. I also enjoyed analyzing the song "March Violets", this poem is very ambiguous and that made it very difficult to analyze. I assumed that the poem was about war and the idea that sometimes a fight isn't worth fighting for. My fellow classmates introduced some interesting ideas; this is what i love about literature and especially poetry, any idea can be valid as long as it can be justified in the text.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the professor who professes that the song could be about a man. He was also one who challenged stories in the bible to be highly sexual etc. Part of his interpretation could be true and needed- but part could be guesswork.

    I also liked the class discussion- but didn't initially see the war connection. I then realized that my viewpoint is still valuable- just like yours is. The beauty is that we are different. I thought the song was about a relationship not worth fighting for- but I see the other side clearly now.

    I think we will learn a lot fomr each other this semester- we are all seniors and have got this far. I am excited to see what everyone has to share in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interesting things about poetry and writing is that you can go into so many direction and not even realize it.
    You can take one line out of a poem and if you explicate it just right, you will end up with a million different ideas that you never even had thought about.

    The beauty of poetry is how it can surprise you in so many ways. You get introduced to different images that cling to your mind and sometimes stay with you forever.

    ReplyDelete